Posted to microsoft.public.word.numbering,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.programming,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default TOC, automatically update numbering & links?

Hello m.

wrote:
[..]
Let me restate the problem a different way. I have a lengthy list
of topics, in an automatically numbered list. To turn that into a
table of contents, it appears I have to change the style to a heading.

not necessarily: any unique heading will do, as Suzanne points out.

This destroys the automatic numbers, and I have to retype them.

No: there's no need to type any number, you "simply" have to define the
given (heading) style as numbered. That does indeed sound simpler than
it really is (or rather: Word lets you do this in a number of ways, but
only one or two ways really work in the long run).

What's your version of Word?

Greetinx
Robert
--