Posted to microsoft.public.word.numbering,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.programming,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] m.0110@yahoo.com is offline

Default TOC, automatically update numbering & links?

On Feb 12, 6:03 am, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
As described earlier in this thread, you can have Word pick up any paragraph
style (numbered or unnumbered) in a table of contents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message

On Dec 13 2008, 7:52 pm, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
wrote:
wrote:

[..]

I hope you can give me a suggestion on the method you find works the
best in the long run.
I am using MS Word 2000.

How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft
Word document (by Shauna
Kelly)http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

So MS Word is not going to do what I need... I will look for something
else.

Again, I'm not interested in making something pretty when I'm done
with it, but with an ongoing, evolving table of contents, where I
don't have to renumber things either in the TOC at the top, or with
the number below where the relevant text is, when I add a new entry in
the TOC. Nobody has said MS Word will do this.
My original post very clearly spells this out, but I will repeat it
one last time.

TOC:
1. Some stuff 'a'
2. Some stuff 'c'
(Document text)
1. Stuff about 'a'
2. Sutff about 'c'

I want to add 'b' between 1 and 2, without renumbering everything (in
the TOC and in the numbers below.) With automatic renumbering (but
apparently not if it's in a TOC), I can simply press enter and the
end of the 1. line, and it will make a new 2., and renumber the
existing 2. to 3., but that doesn't automatically do the other part.