Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark1110 Mark1110 is offline

Default Determine Length Of Mail Merge Field

Hi,

I have a mail merge document that gets its information from an excel file.
Is there a function in word that will give me the length of the one of the
fields, i.e. mm_name? If not, is there a way to treat a phone number (555)
555-1212 as one word so the (555) is not on one line and 555-1212 on another.
The user won't delete the space between after the ) or will the user start
the phone number on a separate line.

I am currently adding spaces before the phone number and if the mm_name is
under 12 characters the letter looks okay, however if it is over 12
characters you something like this:

Jonathon Longname (555) 555-1212.

If not, is there a way when the letter is printed to delete all instances of
spaces that 2 or greater and just make them one space?

Here is the statement I tried but with no luck:

IF {len({MERGEFIELD FullName}+ {MERGEFIELD FirstName}) 10 AND
len({MERGEFIELD FullName}+ {MERGEFIELD FirstName}) 19 SPACE(19 -
len({MERGEFIELD FullName}+ {MERGEFIELD FirstName})}

I have never tried this in a word document. Am I using the correct syntax?

Thanks,

Mark