Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Format markers

You've discovered part of the reason why that particular marker appears.
Several of the other features in the same dialog are also responsible. For
more have a look he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/5/07 8:55 PM, in article , "Len B"
gonehomeatoptusnet:com:au wrote:

I am not sure if this is the right ng but figured you guys would know
immediately anyway.

In some paragraphs in some of my documents, the first character in the
paragraph is preceded by a small filled-in square. I figure it must have
something to do with the formatting because I can make it happen by
formatting the paragraph as "keep with next". I have also seen it in other
circumstances but I haven't been able to find anything on it in Help.

What does it signify?

TIA
Len