John Campbell

Jay

Re my prior reply, I did not use the clipboard via CTRL-C etc., but Word may
have concluded that my "save as" was the equivalent since I did not in fact
create a new document from scratch but rather used an old document as a
template for the new one. (Opened the old, used SaveAs to create the new one
with a new name, then edited from there to develop my new document.) I don't
think I used the alternate procedure, FileNew then SaveAs then CTRL-C CTRL-V
to copy and paste from the old document that I was using to guide my content.
My instincts are to use the FileOpen then FileSaveAs procedure instead. So
maybe Word interprets that as a copy/paste operation? Can't see how or why,
but it would not be completely weird.

Just for clarification ....

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi John,

According to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632, a ~WRLxxxx.tmp file
is a clipboard temp file. If you found most or all of your document there,
it's probably because you copied it to the clipboard, not because Word
"saved" the document there.

Are you by any chance working on a document that you opened directly from an
email attachment? If so, almost all the files you affected were in a
temporary directory, and were probably discarded as soon as you closed Word.
However, using Save As does make a permanent copy of the attachment
document.

Look in Tools Options File Locations. What's the folder named as the
Documents location? That's the default location for the File Open and File
Save As dialogs.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

John Campbell wrote:
Word 2003 is saving my document as a WR?*.tmp file in the Windows\Temp
directory. The step that is supposed to rename the tmp back to my
file name does not take place. NOTE: the file is saved in the
Windows\Temp directory, not the directory in which I created and
saved the document. In addition, no copy or version of the current
changes is named by the name I assign the document when I use CTL-S
to save it. I have to use Save As each time, and navigate from
Windows/temp to the directory where I want to save. I have AutoSave
set to 3 minutes (did me no good at all, since the recovery doc was
not at the specified location), have always save backup checked (also
no good since the backup was as bad as the original), and fast saves
not checked. The only way I avoided losing hours of work was by
vaguely recalling that there might be a tmp file somewhere I don't
expect, and so was able to recover that way without much loss.

(Details below. The material above reflects my reading of this
thread. Below does not.)

I don't want this. Yesterday, I did not realize this was happening,
and essentially lost several hours of work before realizing that Word
had saved the file (with the tmp name in Temp directory) without
saving my changes to my file. So when I opened my file to work after
lunch all of the changes from the past several hours were missing -
they were in the tmp file! Pretty much of a shock.

I have rechecked how I have tools\options\save settings, and they
make sense to me. So this is an exotic problem of some sort. The help
routines and KB have so far not given me any useful information about
how to solve it.

I have started saving Versions, but pretty soon the Bloat will
overcome my system and I will have to delete them. Markup settings
also seem to have no effect.

Thanks for any help that can be offered here.

"MW" wrote:

MY FILES IN WORD ARE NAMED LIKE THIS ~WRL1233.tmp?
WHY?