Klaus Linke

Hi Martin,

Not 100% sure... but does the problem disappear after you replace =
"Heading 3" with the "Default paragraph font" character style? That'll =
remove all character formatting (italic, ...) though.

Word in the newer incarnations has a propensity for creating "char" =
styles.
For example, it'll do so if you apply a paragraph style and you have =
just part of a paragraph selected.

You might find cleanup macros that remove all these char styles, but =
usually they mess up your formatting too (some more, some less). Nobody =
seems to have found a perfect way to get rid of them yet.

Greetings,
Klaus=20

"Martinphilip" wrote:
Word 2002 =20
I have many documents created using my template. I have recently =

carried=20
out major change to paragraph styles in the template. All documents =

have=20
template loaded and "automatically update document styles" box =

checked. I=20
have set up Word's inbuilt style Heading 3 in template to have font =

size 20.=20
However, every document after I open it, shows font size 14 which =

it had=20
previously. =20
I have narrowed the problem down to a character style which appear to =

be=20
present for Heading 3 in the documents. My problems ar three fold
Where did the character style come from? (is it from the normal =

template=20
which I cannot get rid of?)
How do I get rid of the character style? (Word will not allow Heading =

3 to=20
be deleted -even just the character style).
How can I ensure that Update Document style simply overwrites the any=20
character style in the document? Surely that is what it is for. If I =

cannot=20
ensure consistency across all my document styles then it appears that=20
Microsoft has destroyed the principal of using styles.
--=20
Martin