Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default line spacing subscripts

In Format | Paragraph, set Line Spacing to Exactly (but then you have
to put in a points-value). A typical spacing is 12 pts for 10 pt type,
or 14 pts for 12 pt type.

On Feb 26, 7:41*pm, Jay Freedman wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:08:00 -0800, jen_writer

wrote:
Hello,
Whenever I use a subscript/superscript, the spacing between that line of
text and the others increases. I vaguely remember seeing an option somewhere
in Word to turn this off so that the line spacing doesn't increase when
subscripts/superscripts are added. Does anyone know where this option is?

thanks
Jen

In Tools Options Compatibility, there's an option for "Don't add extra space
for raised/lowered characters", but I don't think that has any effect for
subscripts and superscripts -- it's for characters formatted by Format Font
Character Spacing Position.

I'm curious, though, about what conditions you have so that the increase in line
spacing is visible. Even at a zoom of 200%, with all the usual body text fonts I
tried, the change on inserting a subscript and/or superscript was barely visible
-- certainly less than half a point.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman