Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default A row of numbers on the left side of my document?

On the Layout tab of Page Setup, click the button for Line Numbers... and
clear the check box for "Add line numbering." Note, however, that there may
be a reason for them. For example, if the document you were sent was a
journal article for review, the line numbers would be there to facilitate
your reference to specific points in the document.

"J6" wrote in message
I received a "word' document with numbers 1,2,3, etc on the left side of

my
document going down. Each time I go into the next row and number is added

on
the left. I cannot back space or delete the number. The numbers are in the
grey area of the ruler. Please help me to take these vertical numbers out.