Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Linking to Word Documents from a Website

Jenny wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a question for the Word ng or the FrontPage
ng. I've got a web page that links to a few Word .doc files. They
open fine, but when I use the browser's Return button to get back to
the web page, I get a window that says the document has been modified
(it hasn't) and then a log-in window to the server. I can cancel out
of everything, but it's still a pain. Is there anyway to avoid all of
that? The url: http://www.wrcog.org/homefunding.htm (at the bottom of
page) Thanks for your help,
Jenny

I think that's because it's actually opening in the visitor's Word files
and, of course, since it didn't exist on their disk, it's going to ask to
Save it. That's normal operation I'm afraid. IMO you woul d be better off
by zipping them and letting the users unzip them.

Pop`