Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Peyton Todd Peyton Todd is offline

Default Heading 4 Doesn't Know It's a Child of Heading 3

Thanks!
--
Peyton Todd

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Did you make sure to add the numbering of previous levels by selecting the
levels, one by one, in the Customize Outline Numbered List / Define New
Multilevel List dialog box (as opposed to typing the numbers, in which case
they will be static text)? For details, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
Hello. I'm writing a document with lots of headings, numbered in the style
1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, etc. Down through level 3 my headings are all working
properly, but I have now reached the level of detail where I require a
level
4. I modified the existing level 4 to have the right font and number
properties; however, when I place that section in its appropriate
position,
it comes out simply as 1.1.1.1, and the next heading below that comes out
as
1.1.1.2. But they are sub-headings to 9.3.3, so they should be numbered as
9.3.3.1 and 9.3.3.2. How to I tell them who their parent heading is?

Thanks for your help,
--
Peyton Todd