Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How do i mail merge using excel spreadsheats

An Excel address list will work fine (as will a Word table). You just have
to think logically about what information you may want to extract from the
list in order to produce the types of documents you require eg you may have
the following fields/columns

First_Name
Last_Name
Title
Job_Title
First_Initial
Initials
House_Number
Street
Address Line 2
City
Post_Code
Phone
Fax
EMail
etc

or you could use Outlook to store your client data and merge from Outlook -
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

You may find http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm a useful primer for
mail merge (not simply labels).

Pam wrote:
I am very new to mail merge. I have managed the basics but I am stuck
on the bit where I select the recipients. I tried to use an existing
client list from a excel spreadsheet but when I tried printing the
letters the clients name and address did not come on the letter. On
the spreadsheet I have got the clients name and full address, the
clients name is under column A, 1st line of address is under B, 3rd
line under C .... but when I print the letter I get the clients name
and then just 2 of the columns only. example:
Mr Smith
Chesterfield
Derbyshire

How do I get all of the address onto the letter? Also I want to put
Dear Mr Smith after the address but I cant get the salution on when I
merge from an excel doc.

Initially I created a new recipient list and this seemed to work
fine, this has been saved as a mailing database in my documents. I
cant open the file though. Does anyone know why? Its under data
source and when I click on the mdb icon it says windows cannot open
the file.
I need some sort of client list that everyone in the office can have
access to which is why I thought an excel spreadsheet would be good.
Im on word 2003

Thanks, Pam