Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
tammy tammy is offline

Default Is it possible for Word to change styles for a document?

Thanks so much, Stefan! I will make sure this option gets turned off. Have a
great day!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

It does happen that Word applies styles (more or less at random); to avoid
this, clear the option to "Define styles based on your formatting" on the
AutoFormat As You Type tab of the AutoCorrect dialog box.

To display the dialog box: Click the Office button, and then click Word
Options. In the Proofing category, click AutoCorrect Options.

Also, note that a quick way to reapply the Normal style to selected text is
to use the Ctrl+Shift+N shortcut.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
news
Hello,

This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but I have to ask. I
have a user who was working on a previously saved document. The document
was
created using the standard "Normal" style. However, when she reopened the
document, placed her insertion point at the end of the last paragraph and
hit
enter, her spacing was off. When I looked at it, I realized that most of
her
document was created with the Normal style, but the last paragraph was
formatted with the "Normal (Web)" style. (So, of course, the next
paragraph
picked up the "Normal (Web)" style, too.) She doesn't know anything about
styles, has never used them, so I know she did not physically change the
style herself. There is no shortcut key associated with the style. She
said
that the original document was typed from scratch, nothing copied and
pasted
into it. She just typed and hit enter, as usual. So here is the question:

Is it possible for Word to change styles on you? Hey! Stop rolling your
eyes! I had to ask!

We are using Word 2007, but the document is saved at 97-2003.

Thanks for any suggestions!