Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Mail Merge and paragraph formatting

Hi Doug,

I think it's a bit much to expect mail merge to multi-paragraph data and
apply such formatting.

Without further input from the OP, I certainly wouldn't want to spend
any more time on it.

What specifically interested me was that both you and I seem to have set
up or Mail Merge Main Document with identical text and formatting, and
yet we have different results - i.e., "what could account for that?" And
of course there's the question of "what ought to happen?"

I don't think the OP's expectation was unreasonable. But the question
"what do I do if Word simply does not behave the way I expect/want" is
not easily answered. I suppose in the end there has to be a manual
postprocessing step and that someone would have to
a. open the output document
b. identify the paragraphs to be fixed (somehow)
c. apply the fix
d. check the results (how?!)
e. save/print when all is well

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 22/02/2010 19:35, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Hi Peter,

My data had not hard (line or paragraph) breaks in Excel.

I think it's a bit much to expect mail merge to multi-paragraph data and
apply such formatting.

I am not sure how real the OP's description of his requirement is, but
if it was just the static text (Line #) that was to be outdented, I
would setup the main document as a two column table with and
If...then...Else construct in each column, the one in the first column
returning the Line # if the data in the field was not blank and the one
in the second column returning the data if it was not blank.