Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Hen-loss Hen-loss is offline

Default Can you send a mail merge to a large group WITH an attachment?

I followed all the steps (spent the day working on it). Everything appeared
fine but when I went to do the final test and re-did all the steps- just in
case- I end up with an error message and now I am absolutely lost.

I created a directory type file containing the email addresses and file
locations.
I set up the macro as directed.
I created a form mail (to be used as the main message in the body of the
email message) which followed your model of Dear Name...
I merged this and saw the letters with the page breaks as you demonstrated.
I then applied the macro... and... well... that's when I get the message
saying : "Can't execute code in break mode"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Hen-loss

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The document that is referred to here is what will become the body of the
email message. It needs to be a formletter type mailmerge document that
uses the same data source as the catalog or directory type mailmerge main
document that is referred to elsewhere in the article.

The document does not have to contain anything much, but it will need to
have at least one merge field in it. A typical one might be

Dear Name,

Attached is the file.

Yours,
etc.

When you execute that merge to a new document, that document will contain
replicas of that "letter/message" for each recipient such as

Dear Tom,

Attached is the file.

Yours,
etc

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dear Dick,

Attached is the file.

Yours,
etc

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dear Dick,

Attached is the file.

Yours,
etc

The double dotted lines above are intended to represent the Section Breaks
that are inserted between each of the letters when the merge is executed.

It is when that document is the active document that you run the macro.

NOTE: You must do absolutely everything as it says in the article otherwise
it will not work.

I would suggest that you set up a dummy datasource containing a few records
in which you have your own email address (or that of a co-worker or friend)
as the email address for each record and go through the process using that
data source (for both the catalog/directory and the formletter merge
mentioned above) to check that everything is working correctly. If it is,
then that addressee should receive as many emails as there are records in
that dummy data source, to each of which should be attached the files that
are listed in the catalog/directory mailmerge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"DLS" wrote in message
Doug thanks for your quick response. The bit I really don't understand is
as
follows:

"Then execute to a new document the mail merge that you want to send out
by
email with the attachments and with the result of execution of that mail
merge on the screen, run a macro containing the following code."

I am not sure what one is supposed to be firstly executing and at what
point
one should be running the macro. I've tried many methods, but just not
winning. I'm really not sure where I am going wrong.

I really would be glad for your assistance and don't like giving up!

Regards
Heather

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Take it one step at a time. I don't think that I could write in a
simpler
way than I have. Post back to the newsgroups if there are any parts that
you really do not understand.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"DLS" wrote in message
Hi,

I've tried your link below, but it would appear this no longer works.

However, I am in the same position as LMK@work and whilst got very
excited
to see an article to overcome this problem, I too found the article
reading
like "Greek". I am also a Microsoft Office Trainer so consequently
found
this to be very frustrating as I should be able to understand the
instructions in the Article but can't. Sorry Doug.

If there is anyone out there who understands this process fully and is
able
to publish step by step instructions, this would be fantastic, as I
feel
there are quite a few frustrated people out there. I also understand
that
Office 2007 doesn't resolve this problem.

Many thanks in advance.
Heather

" wrote:

Hi,
Try our pdfMachine Word Mail Merge product. It could be what you are
looking for. Its easy to send the merged document as a PDF and to
attach extra PDF's.

http://www.pdfmachine.com/et/pdfmachine_mail_merge.html