Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Ross Ross is offline

Default Formatting figures and captions

On May 26, 1:20*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
This may be a variation on an even more dramatic problem I saw an example
of. Is the Space Before your figure style greater than 10.5 points? If so,
it will not be suppressed at the top of a page, causing the picture to be
lower than it should be, and the following paragraph (in this case, the
caption) overlaps it and cuts it off.

The workarounds found a

1. Saving in Word 97-2003 format or opening in an earlier version.

2. Adding "text" before the picture by inserting a line break and formatting
the empty line before the picture as 1 point.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Ross" wrote in message

Another problem where something basic that worked under Word XP but
stopped after upgrading under Word 2007.

I often embed figures in my technical documents. *I use the "in line
with text" position method, putting the graphic on it's own line. *I
then assign that line a style called "figure" that sets the spaces
above and below the way I want, as well as setting "keep with
next" (which is always the caption). *Typically, I format the picture
with a border. So far so good.

Since the Word upgrade, I've discovered that some of the graphics (not
all which is equally puzzling) are missing the lower border. *Upon
investigating, it seems that the figure and caption styles are
overlapping. *No matter how much space above the caption or "reverse"
crop the picture, the photo border between them is hidden. *However,
if I duplicate the Figure line (so I have the figure repeated in
consecutive lines), the second one now appears correct (the lower
border reappears) but the first one now is missing the lower border.

The only fix I have is to make the original graphic have extra white
space at the bottom that can be chopped without losing any content.

Ideas???- Hide quoted text -

Wow...you're right. Only happens when the graphic is at the top of
the page. I forced the previous paragraph to the next page and the
overlap disappeared,

However, I also noticed that the glitch occurred when there was non-
zero space above the figure so the 10.5 pt was not a factor, at least
for me.

I was able to fix teh problem by adding 6 pts after the Figure
paragraph, but shouldn't have to do that.

Thanks. You're observation explained a lot.