Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Reading delimited text file into labels

The convert to table plus the addition of the row to contain field names
would give you a document that can be used as a data file.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Clay Shannon" wrote in message
Thanks; I see what you mean with the "covert to table," but I don't think
that will place the records in the appropriate places on the page to print
the labels. However, I will czech out those links.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Does the file containing the addresses have a line at the top that
contains
the name of each field, each one separated by the semi-colon?

Regardless, you may find it easier to open the file and then select and
copy
everything in it and paste it into a Word document (or just use FileOpen
in
Word) and then in Word, select everything and use the Convert Text to
Table
facility to convert it into a table. I did that with the two rows of
data
from your post and after replacing the new line character at the end of
the
first row with a carriage return (because of the way it is formatted in
the
mail program), the Convert Text to Table facility automatically selected
the
semi-colon as the character to use to separate the text.

If necessary, you can then insert a row at the top of the table into the
cells of which you type the field names to be used in the mail merge
process, such as

Name
Street
City
State

Zip

Also see the article €śMailmerge Labels with Word XP€ť on fellow MVP Graham
Mayors website at:

or €śMail Merge with Word 2007€ť on fellow MVP Graham Mayors website at

http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Clay Shannon" wrote in message
I am trying to populate Avery 5160 labels by using a file with contents
like
this (semicolon-delimited, one record per line):

Mr. Al Jackson; 123 Cypress Lane; Detroit, MI; ;;; 88888
Mr. Merle Haggard; 456 Fiddlestix Lane; Redding; CA; ;;; 55555

Does anybody have step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this
in
Word? I've tried everything I can get to and think of related to mail
merge
and creating labels in Word, and have had no success.