Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Robert is offline

Default Using the Insert key to switch between insert & overwrite mode in various Word reversions

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 11:25:20 -0600, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

My point is that reference to double-clicking OVR does not apply to
something that says Insert/Overtype instead of OVR. I was not talking about
Word 2007.

You wrote exactly this:

"In Word 2007, you'll need to go to Office Button | Word Options |
Advanced: Editing options and check the box for "Use the Insert key to
control overtype mode." Note also that in any version of Word you can
double-click OVR on the status bar to toggle modes."

I am sorry but I find it difficult to dissociate Word 2007 from
"double-click OVR" in your post, coming as it does on the heels of "In Word
2007" and "in any version of Word". How could "any version of Word" not
include Word 2007, especially as you˘d just been talking about Word 2007?
We just read posts, we are not mind-readers.

What's more, I find the distinction between "OVR" and "Overtype" rather
specious. As I understand things, "OVR" is only a kind of acronym for
"Overtype".

Whether you call it "OVR" or "Overtype", that mode can only be toggled with
a single click in Word 2007. I know. I learnt it the hard way. I had been
so used to double-clicking "OVR" ("Overtype") on the status bar of previous
versions that I instinctively did it in Word 2007. It did not work. I found
out that it now required a single click when I failed to do a proper
double-click, and single-clicked by mistake.
--
Cheers
Robert