Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SlickRCBD SlickRCBD is offline

Default Using the Insert key to switch between insert & overwrite mode invarious Word reversions

On Jan 6, 11:24*am, Robert Macy wrote:
On Jan 6, wrote: Back with Word97 I was dismayed to find that Word did not recognize
the standard usage of the INSert key to switch between insert mode and
overwrite. When I finally got Word 2003, having skipped purchasing the

...snip...

My Word97 switches between insert and overwrite using that key.

I've read all the posts in this thread. I'll reply in order.

The contents of the course I'm taking has nothing to do with Word. I
was simply given a syllabus that specified that all papers are to be
submitted with standardized headers, double-space (not 1.5) text, page
numbers, and a specific font. The teacher also took us to a lab that
had a choice of Notepad or Word 2007 and gave us time to work on the
papers when she was there.

I've played around with the current install of Word97 on my old
computer, and found that the Insert key seemed to do nothing at first.
I went to the option, clicked on the option to make it use the INS key
to paste things in, then unchecked it and it started to work as
described in the post above. Unfortunately, exiting Word and
relaunching it caused the INS key to go back to doing nothing until I
toggle the option twice. The standard double-click on "OVR" works. I
can only assume that this would work similarly on my ancient laptop,
but didn't feel like digging it out of the closet as I don't think
I'll be using it anytime soon.

I won't be returning to the school until Monday, and I won't be
returning to that specific class until Tuesday, so I can't try
anything related to Word 2007 until then unless I go to somebody
else's computer. My choices at home are Office 97 Professional or
Office 2003 Student (from when I went to Community College some years
back). Now I've gone back to school to get better degree than the one
I've got.

I'll probably make another follow-up post on Tuesday as I expect to be
doing some more typing then. I plan to do all my other assignments
here at home using Office 2003.