Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rickcstahl rickcstahl is offline

Default Word was unable to open the data source

My problem is that my Excel data is not being "mail merged" into Word. I
followed the suggestion of prompting the data source before opening and I can
choose "MS Excel Worksheet via DDE (*.xls) when prompted. Next I choose th
named or cell range which is "Entire Spreadsheet". Then in lowr left task
bar it briefly says "Opening file . . . ." but then I am prompted with Word
error "Word was unable to open the data source."

If I try Office 2007 I use "OLE DB Database Files" when prompted to open
data source. Then I select the table "Sheet1$" without any errors. However,
when I Finish & Merge, the data merged into Word look different than what it
should and how it appears in Excel. Specifically, numbers formatted as
percetages with 0 decimal places in Excel (22%) appear as 0.2187539 when
merged into Word. Also, blank fields in Excel dispay the value zero (0) when
merged in Word.

Any help to correct this is greatly appreciated.