Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Thing One Thing One is offline

Default Word 2007 - what is small square at edge of screen?

On Feb 15, 8:48*pm, Jay Freedman wrote:
And for one more case, the bullets don't appear for me in any view in
2003, 2007, or 2010. If I select the drawing lines and display
nonprinting characters, I do see their anchors (because I have that
option turned on).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:05:47 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"

wrote:
They appear in Normal/Draft view for me in both 2003 and 2007.

http://word.mvps.org

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
As a bye: they (the bullet marks) don't appear in Word 2010 in any view!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It is significant that thesquareappears only in Normal view, not Print
Layout (whereas the "bullet" that indicates the Line and Page Breaks tabs
settings appears in both views).

Viewing the document in Print Layout view reveals two graphic lines
(rather awkwardly placed, and they skew the text); probably the bullet
means "There's a graphic anchored to this paragraph." Deleting those
floating graphics removes the "bullets" as well.

http://word.mvps.org

"Thing One" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 6:08 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
I agree.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
. ..

From the initial description, the "bullet" is the same as the one used
indicate those "Line and Page Breaks" settings.

http://word.mvps.org

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Are you talking about the tiny, filled in blacksquareon the left
margin
at the start of a paragraph?

If so, then Suzanne is absolutely 1000% correct.

If not, what are you talking about? Please describe them or better
still,
please show us a sample we can see on the Internet.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Thing One" wrote in message
On Feb 10, 4:56 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:
It indicates that the given paragraph is formatted as "Keep with
next,"
"Keep lines together," "Page break before," or (rarely) "Suppress
line
numbering."

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Thing One" wrote in message

I scanned a document into Word. Next to some of the paragraphs
there
is asmallsquare(like the non-printing mark that indicates "Keep
Lines Together" in Word docs). I can't figure out what the mark
indicates, or how to get rid of it. (It doesn't print, nor does
it
seem to be causing any harm but I am curious what it is.) Thank
you
for any suggestions.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have checked each of
them
- it is none of those things, but I thank you for your response and
suggestions.- Hide quoted text -

I posted a portion of the document to
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4GA...tMGExMi00ZWQ5L....
Thank you!- Hide quoted text -

Thank you all so much! I appreciate everyone's help, as always.