Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joshua Kreitzer Joshua Kreitzer is offline

Default Renumbering footnotes

The decimal-numbered footnotes were inserted using the Insert/
Reference/Footnote function in Word and numbered manually, and yes, it
was a fair amount of work to do them that way. Also, I am tracking
changes.

Cutting the footnote content, deleting the footnote, reinserting it,
and pasting the content will work, but it would be very time-
consuming. That's why I'm looking for an easier way.

Joshua Kreitzer

On Apr 7, 6:23*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If these are bona fide "footnotes" created using the Insert | Reference |
Footnote function in Word, it would have been very difficult in the first
place to have numbers such as 3.1, 3.2, etc. (they'd have to be done
manually), and they would still update automatically (though if you're
tracking changes you won't see the right numbers till you accept the
changes). You may need to cut the footnote content, delete the footnote,
reinsert it, and paste the content.

"Joshua Kreitzer" wrote in message

I'm using Microsoft Word 2002 and I have a document in which I would
like footnotes to be numbered consecutively: 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. However,
the footnotes contain stretches of numbers that are decimals (for
example, footnote 3 might be followed by footnote 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, etc.)
and other sequences that are just plain out of order. Is there any
kind of macro or other method that can be used to automatically
renumber the footnotes starting with 1 and continuing in whole numbers
until the end of the document?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.