chipp2shore chipp2shore is offline
Junior Member

Location: St Pete, Florida

Clay, I'm assuming that the addresses are setup just as you described and also that there are many of them. This is a method which will work for you if you don't require fields for each line, merely address blocks like this.
(Make sure you use a header such as ADDRESS and put a space between it and the first record.)

ADDRESS

Mr. Joe Brown
123 Cypress Lane
Sausalito
CA 55555

Start by typing in your header e.g. ADDRESS on the top line and hit the enter key so that you have a header above your addresses with all the semi colons.

First off do a find and replace Find ; ;;; and Replace with nothing. That will give you the State and Zip without any punctuation marks in between, but will leave the other semi colons. - Make sure that you have the semi colons exactly as they appear between the state and the zip e..g. ; ;;;. Word will leave all the single semi colons.

Secondly, do a find and replace for all the remaining semi colons and replace them with paragraph marks. Find ; Replace ^p

Thirdly do a find and replace for any paragraph marks and replace them with manual line breaks. Find ^p Replace ^l

Finally do a find and replace for any two manual line breaks and replace them with a paragraph mark. Find ^l^l and Replace ^p This will give you a paragraph for a delimiter between addresses.

Now select (Ctrl + A) all the addresses and use the 'Convert text to table' using a paragraph mark as a separator. You will have a one column table of your addresses with your header (such as ADDRESS) in the top cell.

You can now use Word mail merge to make your Avery labels # 5160, or use the Avery wizard which can be downloaded from the Avery website. Your merge field will appear as ((ADDRESS)) which you will then update to all the cells in the blank labels.

Chris Davies

Clay Shannon wrote: I am trying to populate Avery 5160 labels by using a file with contents like
this (semicolon-delimited, one record per line):

Mr. Joe Brown; 123 Cypress Lane; Sausalito; CA; ;;; 54567
Mr. Merle Haggard; 456 Fiddlestix; Redding; CA; ;;; 55555

Does anybody have step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this in
Word? I've tried everything I can get to and think of related to mail merge
and creating labels in Word, and have had no success.
[/quote]

Last edited by chipp2shore : March 14th 12 at 02:24 AM Reason: update info.