Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Emmanuel Emmanuel is offline

Default Mailmerge counter in Word 2003, broken in SP3 (truncated to 2

I've installed SP3 yesterday morning and since then, I also only see the two
first digits! This is VERY frustrating as I mailmerge more than 50,000
letters every day (I own a mailing company). This function is essential to me
and I really hope to get it back working as soon as possible.

"VSlaybaugh" wrote:

You're not alone. I use this display every day in my job. I merge 500+
records multiple times a week. It is very frustrating that it doesn't work
anymore when it used to. I depend on this display. I don't want to have to
merge to new document to see if the correct number of documents will print
before I choose to merge to printer. Merging to new document takes forever
when there are hundreds to merge.

I sure hope they fix this soon!

"Frank" wrote:

Your definitely not alone. I do a monthly mailer of about 2500 business
reply cards. Only the first two digits show. So if I am looking at record #
1569, I only see the number 15. I noticed this last month but had some other
issues to deal with before searching for a fix. My printer can only handle
500 pages at a time so I depend on this display to keep my place in the print
run.

In the grand scheme of things this may be a small issue but it annoys me
when an update breaks features that previously worked.

I will be watching for a fix.

Thanks

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If? they are going to fix it?

I don't work for microsoft so cannot know exactly what their plans are. I
would hope they would fix it, but there are other reported, unfixed errors
out there.

It's hard to believe that I'm the only one affected by this. Doesn't
anyone
else mail merge with more than 99 records?

I think you are the third person to have raised this point in this group.
SInce it's a fairly new problem, that counts as quite a lot of people given
the amount of traffic in this group. I certainly hope the people who use the
Microsoft communities pages to read these posts will vote for your
suggestion.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"David2233" wrote in message
If? they are going to fix it?

Considering it's something that used to work and then they broke it in
SP3,
it should certainly be near the top of their list of things to do (IMHO).

It's hard to believe that I'm the only one affected by this. Doesn't
anyone
else mail merge with more than 99 records?

Why don't I see other entries about this?

Thanks,

David

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

This error was reported to Microsoft a couple of weeks ago or so. No idea
if/when it will be fixed.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"David2233" wrote in message
Since SP3, the record number displayed in the mail merge tool bar is
truncated to 2 digits. If you enter record number 145 the correct
record
is
merged but the box shows record number to be 14. As you step through
the
records it will change to 15 when you reach record number 150. The box
is
wide enough to accommodate 4 or 5 digits.

This worked fine prior to SP3.

David

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds