Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Templates behaving badly

I believe this supports my initial suspicion that the issues are being caused by an add-in. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...sInstalled.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" u3143@uwe wrote in message news:a6f94ce60b4d4@uwe...
Thanks. I did seem to get an improvement when I worked directly on the
template (though I'm not sure the trouble is really gone-- it has a way of
popping up again).

But there's another thing I forgot to mention. Some macros that I've been
using for years don't run from their assigned hotkeys. The assignments in
Normal.dot look the same as always. I printed out my key assignments, and the
failing key assignments say "The macro named TEMPLATEPROJECT.NEWMACROS.
MYCOOLMACRO does not exist". I think when they first failed, I tried to
reassign them, so this could be the result of the later stage. Any idea
what's happening here?

Stefan Blom wrote:
If you open the template as a document, via the Open dialog box, then can you save changes to styles? If so, my guess is that a poorly designed add-in is preventing you from saving the template correctly. (Did you install something recently?)

If the "style list" means the Styles and Formatting pane, note that it shows recently used styles at the top, which explains why you are seeing a style twice. It doesn't explain why a style would appear three times, though. It might be a case of template corruption, I suppose; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm for assistance.

I'm having problems with documents and templates. I make changes to a style,
click "Add to template", everything looks right and I save everything, but

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
and goes to centered. Can a whole template inherit from another whole
template? Or maybe is there a poltergeist originating in Redmond?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN