Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2003 SQL Express Datasource

Thanks Peter I'll try that

I've already just tried leaving out the Connection and SQL and I've managed
to get it to work but would prefere to connection string option as it is
more flexible

What are the significance of the A's in your example ? I'm not an SQL guru !

Thanks

Andrew

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Off the top of my head I suggest you try modifying the OpenDataSource call
so that
a. the query is

"SELECT A.* FROM [System3000].[dbo].[AGKTemp11] A"

b. If that isn't enough, try leaving the connection parameter out of the
OpenDataSource call, if you can (setting it to Nothing or "" may not work
either, though)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
OK having go it working as a 'user' I'm now trying VIA com and not having
much luck !

The best i've got so far is no error opening the data source but it only
thinks it has two fields M_ and M_1 which is not correct

My command in the Visual Dataflex language I am using is

Send ComOpenDataSource of oMailMerge
((psHome(phoWorkspace(ghoApplication)))+"Programs\ SQLServerConnection.odc")
OLEwdOpenFormatAuto False True True False Nothing Nothing False Nothing
Nothing "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
Info=True;Initial Catalog=System3000;Data Source=AGKBIGDELL;Use Procedure
for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation
ID=AGKBIGDELL;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with col" "SELECT * FROM
AGKTemp11" Nothing Nothing OLEwdMergeSubTypeOther

I made this up from a recorded macro from Word

The meat of the odc file is

meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/x-ms-odc; charset=utf-8"
meta name=ProgId content=ODC.Table
meta name=SourceType content=OLEDB
meta name=Catalog content=System3000
meta name=Schema content=dbo
meta name=Table content=AGKTemp11
xml id=docprops/xmlxml id=msodcodc:OfficeDataConnection
xmlnsdc="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficedc"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"
odc:Connection odc:Type="OLEDB"
odc:ConnectionStringProvider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrat ed
Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=True;Data Source=AGKBIGDELL;Use
Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation
ID=AGKBIGDELL;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation
when possible=False;Initial Catalog=System3000/odc:ConnectionString
odc:CommandTypeTable/odc:CommandType

odc:CommandText"System3000"."dbo& quot;."AGKTemp11"/odc:CommandText
/odc:Connection
/odc:OfficeDataConnection
/xml

Any clues would be most appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
I've selected this table INTO a new table and Word seems to be able to
connect to that one OK ?

All of the columns are there so I assume it must be something to do with
the indexs or other 'options' on this table ??

Thanks

Andrew

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message

CREATE TABLE [words].[Person](

[PK_Person] [int] NOT NULL,

[Title] [varchar](10) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Title] DEFAULT
(''),

[Forename] [varchar](35) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Forename]
DEFAULT (''),

[Surname] [varchar](35) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Surname] DEFAULT
(''),

[Salutation] [varchar](50) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Salutation]
DEFAULT (''),

[Badge_Name] [varchar](35) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Badge_Name]
DEFAULT (''),

[Sort_Code] [varchar](40) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Sort_Code]
DEFAULT (''),

[External_ID] [varchar](20) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_External_ID]
DEFAULT (''),

[Status] [tinyint] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__Person__Status__278EDA44]
DEFAULT ((0)),

[Perm_Bidder_No] [varchar](10) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT
[DF_Person_Perm_Bidder_No] DEFAULT (''),

[Update_Timestamp] [timestamp] NOT NULL,

[Update_User] [tinyint] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Update_User]
DEFAULT ((0)),

[Invalid] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Invalid] DEFAULT ((0)),

[Cheque_Limit] [decimal](10, 2) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT
[DF_Person_Cheque_Limit] DEFAULT ((0.00)),

[No_Card] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_No_Card] DEFAULT ((0)),

CONSTRAINT [PK_Person] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[PK_Person] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY =
OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY],

CONSTRAINT [UQ_Person_PK_Person] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED

(

[PK_Person] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY =
OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
Hi All

I'm trying to connect to an SQL2005Express Table as the source for a
Word merge

Ulimately I want to automate this via COM but for now am just trying
it as a user

I can get the connection setup fine and choose the table I want
however I get the following error when I try and use it

"Record 1 contained too few dataflields"

Looking on the MS KB this seems to be a known problem and you need to
update to the latest office service pack (SP3) which I have done but
the problem is still there

The Word about dialog shows as version "11.8169.8172.SP3"

This is just a test but the structure of the table I am conecting to
is