Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sally Poyzer

Default Cross reference not updating

Thanks for such a quick response, Graham.

Thank you for clarifying that REF fields do not update automatically - at
least I know I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Unfortunately, I don't think a StyleRef field will work in my situation, but
I learnt a lot reading the Help menu about them!! However, Jezebel's work
around will suit my situation, so I now have what I need.

Thank you again for your help.

Sally

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

from your description, you probably need a styleref field to reproduce the
content of Heading 1 rather than a Ref field (ALT+F9 will toggle the display
to the field construction).

REF fields do not update automatically.

It is easy to overwrite bookmarks if you don't display them in your document
(Tools Options view) It seems likely that you are adding your extra
information *outside* the bookmark and therefore the REF field doesn't see
it.

Sally Poyzer wrote:
Hi

I'm having a little trouble with cross references. I have put a
'heading text' cross reference to a heading (set up with the Heading
1 style) in my document. However, if I change the heading (for
example, from 'Communication' to 'Communication Styles'), the cross
reference does not update (even with selecting F9). The only time it
will update is if I change the spelling within the word (eg. from
'Communication' to 'Communicat**n')...not that I'd ever actually want
to do this!

Is this because Cross References are limited or am I doing something
wrong??

Thanks for your help

Sally