Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Default find/replace box should not move

Hi C.W.,

FWIW, this was added as a 'feature' in Word for one of the reasons you mentioned earlier. A good number of users could not see the
results of the find and often were not familiar with the procedure for dragging the box, so the box now gets out of the way of
seeing the result.

The alternate methods of
-Using the accelerator key, F, for find once you start a search, with the box open using the keyboard works, no matter where the
box moves, (although it seems move more predictably in this case) to continue through to the next 'find' or

-as Suzanne mentions use the vertical scroll bar tools (by mouse or ctrl+page down) to repeat the find without the dialog being
visibel.

-or in the Windows control panel Mouse controls turning on the 'snap to default' choice will jump the mouse pointer to also follow
the box (although this seems to be somewhat dependent on the mouse driver software) [sigh]

- or from Tools=Customize=Commands choose 'Find Next' from the Edit category and place it on the toolbar.

How it appears to be moving can also be affected somewhat by what view you're working in.

It could be a nice addition if Word had a 'pin' choice for the dialog or if the dialog were dockable, and there may be a macro
solution to keep it in place or replace the functionallity with a taskpane/toolbar, but I don't recall a built in setting that
allows it to 'lock' in place.

======
"cwmacminn" wrote in message ...
Suzanne, I don't think we're on the same page. This has nothing to do with
the USER moving the find/replace box... I'm saying that WORD ITSELF moves the
box. I gave very specific instructions in one of my previous posts about how
to duplicate the issue... I can't think of a better way to explain it.

I have a Mac at home and a Dell Laptop at work. The issue we've been
discussing occurs on the Dell but NOT on the Mac, so this seems to be a
Word-for-Windows issue only.

Also, let me point out again that the find/replace box does not move on
EVERY click... but it will move at least once or twice out of, say, every ten
clicks.
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx