Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DJSMITH

Default The document name or path is not valid

Hi there.
I have exactly the same problem with opening a Word document
"The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
*check the file permissions for the document or drive.
*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document." and it proceeds to
give me the path where it is located"

It is a small document, only 35kb. But it has happened to 4 or 5 small
documents. I always close down the pen drive so i don't know why this
happens!!
Shauna gave advice in how to prevent it happening again, but is there any
way of retrieving the documents? You didn't mention if there was. Also, how
do you use Windows explorer to copy it to your memory stick. Do you mean,
save it on your hard drive, then drag it onto your hard drive window and then
close down properly?
Thanks for your help in advance, DJ

"Lai Ming Hoe" wrote:

Hi Shauna Kelly,

i also have this problem, but we get it with using Windows Terminal Service
to doing Mail Merge, even all the path and permission is check on the server
all are done. so we test on our own pc is ok, after mail merge the file size
is 50KB only.

i have ask my friend to recopy it according to ur artical. hope is helpful
to us.

From Lai Ming Hoe

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

Hi freely001

You are probably suffering from the problems associated with saving a Word
document to any removable media. When Word opens a document, it also creates
a whole lot of temporary files in the same folder as the document. It uses
these files when you're working on the document. When you save the document,
it creates a few more. With such a large file, the space required for those
documents would be large.

Two things might have happened:
1. Word might have run out of space.
or
2. If you don't properly shut down a memory stick using the control on the
Windows taskbar, then Windows does not close all the files.

So the lessons a
1. When you want to take a document home to work on it, save it to your hard
disk, then use Windows Explorer to copy it to the memory stick. At home, use
Windows Explorer to copy it from the memory stick to the hard drive of your
computer, and work on it there. Never use Word to open a document from a
memory stick, and don't use Word to save it to the memory stick.

2. Before you pull a memory stick out of its USB slot, make sure you shut
down the device. There will be a little green icon near the clock.
Right-click it to shut down the memory stick.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"freely001" wrote in message
I have been putting together a large presentation (last version was 2,658
kB). I saved it to a memory stick and took it home to work on. I added to
it
but did not copy the additional changes over the original. When I got to
work
today I tried to open the 2,658 kB file and it came back with
"The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
*check the file permissions for the document or drive.
*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document." and it proceeds to
give me the path where it is located. I have tried getting others to open
the
file, checked to see if the file would open on my notebook that I used to
work on it last night and even rebooted my computer and nothing has
worked.
What has happened?