Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Multiple headers

If you're using styles to format "Smith - Direct" and "Smith - Cross" in the
body, as indicated in another response, you can use the StyleRef field to
put that information into the header. This would be similar to the way
dictionary headers are done. This is certainly the simplest solution,
assuming the use of styles makes it workable.

If not... then the trick is to turn off Link to Previous (in the Header &
Footer Tools Design ribbon tab) for section's headers. Once that's done,
"Smith - Direct", etc. can be placed into separate headers, and page
numbering can be instructed to continue from the previous section.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Calendar gal" wrote in message
When I use section breaks it sometimes wipes out my existing header that
includes the page number and line numbering 1-25 down the side of the
page.
I'd like to keep the page number and line numbering plus add "Smith -
Direct"
or "Smith - Cross" in the header. How do I apply the section breaks
correctly? I've already switched the breaks to continuous so I don't get
new page.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

What's wrong with using section breaks? That's Word's mechanism for
dealing
with varying header/footer material. Page numbering can be continued from
previous sections while still varying the header.

[If they alternated, then you could use the Different odd and even option
(Page Layout ribbon tab - Page Setup launcher - Layout tab). But, my
experience with transcripts is that they don't alternate uniformly.]

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Calendar gal" wrote in message
Typing Court transcript and need headers to reflect "direct" and
"cross"
examination on pages.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

Homework question?

Calendar gal wrote:

Word 2007. How do I create different headers in one document that
is
not
separated by chapters/page breaks/sections?