Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default what causes a vertical line to appear in Word?

Humor?

"John Doue" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

As I understand it, it's a survival from DOS days, before the table

feature
was introduced, and was used in conjunction with underlining to create

the
appearance of a ruled table. It can still be used that way (and I
occasionally do so, though using paragraph borders to create the

horizontal
lines). When you set such a tab, the line appears automatically at the

tab
stop position and automatically extends to the height of the paragraph

so
that it is possible to create a continuous vertical line extending

through
one or more paragraphs. I have on occasion used it as a center line to

help
me copy by hand text that I have printed, for example, when I'm

handwriting
formal, centered text such as:

Dr. and Mrs. Matthew Talbot Barnhill, Jr.
accept with pleasure
the kind invitation
of Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Doe
for Saturday, the thirtieth of September

and the like.

Thanks Suzanne. Sorry I missed the humor from the signature part but I
trust it is just me being dense today ...

Regards

--
John Doue