Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deb deb is offline

Default INCLUDETEXT and virtual path

I think I may have jinxed myself. I tested this out by changing all my
INCLUDTEXT fields to a variant of this:

{ INCLUDETEXT "{FILENAME /p}/../REF_Things_to_Know_Line_4.doc"}

I updated and everything worked fine ..... UNTIL I moved all the files to a
new directory. Now after updating I get this:

Error! Not a valid filename.

I notice that you mentioned "You may need to have a way to re-execute this
field before it will do what you want after you move the files to a new
folder." What do you mean by this? Sounds like that may be the problem?

Thanks!

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

1. Nothing much works very well unless you uncheck Word Tools|General|Web
Options|Files|Update links on save (or the Word 2007 equivalent)

2. You can't use "traditional" relative paths because the path is relative
to the active folder, which is not necessarily the same as the folder than
contains the document that contains the INLUDETEXT field.

3. You can however use a trick using a nested field. e.g. if you want to
include x.doc and it's in the same folder as the including document, try

{ INCLUDETEXT "{ filename /p}\\..\\x.doc" }

(where both sets of {} are the special field code braces you can insert
using ctrl-F9). You may need to have a way to re-execute this field before
it will do what you want after you move the files to a new folder.

You may also be able to use

{ INCLUDETEXT "{ filename /p}/../x.doc" }

if you prefer.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Deb" wrote in message
news
The INCLUDETEXT field has as its syntax as follows:

{INCLUDETEXT "path"}

THe help file instructs you to use double slashes to replace single
slashes
separating directories. My question is, how to you enter relative paths?
At
this point I can only enter absolute paths so that if the files move, the
links are broken. I want to always keep the source and the destination
files
in the same directory but be able to move the entire set to another
directory
without breaking links.

Thanks in advance for any help!