Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default newbie question- bookmark dialog shows OLE_LINK

If you copy text (or any content) from a Word document and paste it into,
e.g., PowerPoint or Excel, this may generate an OLE_LINK bookmark that
surrounds the copied text in Word. It is difficult to find out whether these
OLE_LINK bookmarks serve any purpose. Maybe they were meant to be used if
there is a link between the copied and pasted content, however, they often
appear after a €śnormal€ť copy and paste.

I have deleted such OLE_LINK bookmarks in several documents and never
experienced that it has caused any problems (actually, I use a macro to
delete them). However, in situations where you have content linked to other
documents, you may need to be more careful.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Keith" wrote:

I inherited a document with a bunch of bookmarks and within the bookmark
dialog, there is OLE_LINK1 and OLE_LINK2

I deleted all the bookmarks but although I know what OLE is (object linking
and embedding) I'm not sure what these links refer to in this document (the
"goto" button is disabled when selecting either OLE_LINK) so I'm not sure if
it is safe to delete them.

My goal is to clean up the document, then bookmark each "chapter" and turn
this into a template so that I can use VBA to create each new document and
delete the "chapters" (e.g. set bookmark contents to "") that are not
relevant to each new report.

Thanks!
Keith