Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Claudia[_2_] Claudia[_2_] is offline

Default Master Documents using Share Point Portal Server

Hello,

I need to work with Master Documents because many authors are working on
many chapters and in the end we need to create a big manual.

All files are stored on a Share Point Portal Server, this means:
- all .doc-files
- all graphics (because it hast to be printed in a CMYK-separated way, we
use .bmp)

There are different manuals, so we have a complexe structure of master and
sub-documents:

The complexest manual in the end has the following structu
master document:
master 1
- sub 1_1
- sub 1_2
master 2
- sub 2_1
- sub 2_2

and to make it even more complicated, all documents (including the sub's)
contain links to graphics which are stored on the SharePoint but in an
extra strucutre (so it's not a sub-folder from the place where the .doc's
are stored, it's member of another webpart)

At the moment my job is to test if this can work - from my feeling I would
say it is rather impossible -at least when we have about 30 (sub-)master
documents each containing 2 sub-docuemnts and each sub-master containing
about 30 bitmaps.

My question:
- is it possible to work with master documents when everything is stored on
a SharePoint Portal Server?
- would it be better to store the graphics in a subfolder?
- is it a problem to have sub-documents containing other sub-documents?

We're on the way to change all Word-Documents to this structure and I really
would like to know if this can work or if we'd better find another
solution. I just have no good idea what the other solution could be (the
only thing I would to immediately is to store the graphics in a sub-folder,
but our SharePoint-administrator doesn't like subfolders)

Thanks in advance for every answer
--
Claudia