Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Carrie[_2_] Carrie[_2_] is offline

Default Is there a clip art newsgroup?

I looked at this yesterday and was disappointed. It wasn't what I thought (about the art, how people use it and passing it around, etc) Maybe it was just that one day, but it seemed mainly about "how can I legally use the clip art?" and one thread where one person was trying to get another into trouble (or publically ruin their reputation, because what she was accusing could have been done privately and not "on the group") because she said they were using the clip art to make and sell logos (the other person denied this)

Maybe it's just me, but I've been on groups and discussion boards for around 10 years now, and I am so tired of people arguing and fighting and name calling and just plain negative-ness.

One thing I've liked all along about the MS newsgroups, they don't seem to have this, or as much of it. Maybe it gets taken off or stopped before it starts. But, overall, everyone seems to get along and have patience with another newbie question and polite and helpful to each other.

The clip art group (and as I said, maybe I just hit the wrong day) didn't seem like that, so I think I'll skip it.

I usually forget there is built in clip art (the little I used of this anyway, just playing around and learning new things, or adding a little picture to a personal letter, or address labels I make myself) and either look in my own files or in google search. For some reason I had been under the impression (from years ago) that it was okay to use the clip art, just not sell it AS clip art, in a collection, or part of one. Though I can see why making it into a logo and then selling the rights TO the logo to a customer wouldn't be good.

I don't know how that thread ended up, one was accusing and the other was denying, and a link was giving to "turn someone in" to microsoft, if you think they are using clip art in an illegal way.

Just not what I thought that goup was going to be about.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message ...
microsoft.public.design.gallery

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Carrie" wrote in message ...

On the clip art page I found a discussion group

"Discussions in Clip Art and Media"

Is there a version of this in the MS newgroup server format? Since I have several ng that I get in Outlook Express, I'd like to add this to them, and not go to the clipart page to read on it.

I put that name in ng search and nothing came up, but it might be under another name. You have to be pretty specific with searching for newsgroups.

Thanks