Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KC Rippstein hotmail com> KC Rippstein hotmail com> is offline

Default Intelligent search of Text in Word Docs similar to Acrobat Find fu

I am 90% Google Desktop Search or Yahoo Desktop Search would meet your need.
They will give you a result list similar to searching with Google or Yahoo,
where it gives you the result in a one-line sample of its context along with
a hyperlink to the actual document. Both are free programs for download.
- KC
--
Please remember to indicate when the post is answered so others can benefit
from it later.

"Jim D." wrote:

I am looking for an application or other help to solve the follwoing problem.
I produce large documents for clients that are actually a set of individual
reports. I need an application that can search through a number of these
documents in a directory (and subdirectories) for a specified search string
and display a line from the document where the string was found as well as
the document name where the text was found. When a user clicks on on of
these hits it will automatically open that target document and place the
cursor on that exact location where the search string was found.
I have seen a similar application work in Acrobat but it only works from
within a document, not across a directory full of documents, and I need this
for Microsoft Word documents, not *.pdf's. Does anyone know of such an
application or how to go about developing such a capability? Thanks.

--
Jim D. Tampa