Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rodger Rodger is offline

Default Word Limitations

THANK YOU ALL . . . . .

When I did the paste special as a picture this reduced the document from
110MB to under 1MB . . . . .Now it won't kill on email server when she has
to create this every quarter for all our departments . . . . .

Thanks again!!!!

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...
Hi Rodger:

When she inserted the graphs, chances are she inserted the entire Excel
spreadsheet that generates them. Eight times...

Tell her to take them out, then copy each graph and use EditPaste
Special"As picture". The file will immediately lose 109 of those 110 MB
:-)

Yes, the documented limits for Word refer only to the Text Stream within

the
document. The actual limiting file size is much higher than that: about 2
GB on a normal file system, much bigger on Windows NTFS 64-bit.

However... Hard disks haven't gotten any faster recently: waiting for a

2GB
file to save every ten minutes is not fun :-)

Cheers

On 18/1/07 6:57 AM, in article ,
"Rodger" wrote:

Ben,

Thank you . . . .I have a user that has a 12 page document with some

graphs
and the file is 110MB. I am looking at it to find out why it is so big.
She has about 8 graphs. I have documents with 20 or so screen shots and
they are only about 500k , , , , ,

Rodger

"Benjamino5" wrote in message
news
I don't know, but I would advise you against creating files anywhere

near
32
MB in size--even 10 MB might be pushing it. Large files slow Word down
tremendously and greatly increase the chance of major corruption (since

Word
gets flaky with big files and because all your data is one "basket").

I work for a publisher, and we make workbooks in Word, one chapter per

file.
If it's possible for you to do something similar, I recommend it.

Good luck!
Ben

"Rodger" wrote:

All,

I have a looked on the MS web site and found that Word has a 32MB text

limit
and they make note that it does not apply to images/graphics. Does

that
mean there is no limit to the amount of images or graphics you can

have
in a
document?

TIA,
Rodger

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410