Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pianoman pianoman is offline

Default Need white text headings (1 word) highlighted black. There's a cat

I have a two-part question surrounding TOC and text formatting.
THE SCENARIO:
I'm trying to create a TOC based on section headings in a manual, but the
section headings are actually textboxes rather than text within the document
body.
To make the TOC process easier, I have converted the document to use Syles.
To create a TOC, I think the section headings need to be in Header Style #1.

THE PROBLEM:
I want the section headings formatted a certain way AND I want the section
heading to appear on every page (so you can open the workbook to any page and
know what section you are in).

QUESTION #1:
Can I tell the TOC to ignore redundant headings, or maybe to only pay
attention to certain headings?

QUESTION #2:
If answer to Question #1 is "Yes"...how do I achieve the formatting I want
without using a text box? Can this be done using frames from the draw
menu--or will frames also give me a problem when I create my TOC?

FORMATTING SPECS:
I want the section heading to appear like a banner across the top of each
page, so that the banner background is black and the right-aligned text is
white. I was using a textbox to create this effect, but that prevents me from
creating a TOC.
I tried the Text Highlighter (highlighted white text with black "marker")
but that only puts the black highlight on the text itself--I need the black
"banner" to span the width of the page.
I have been leary of attempting this with Headers since I did not think you
could use headers to create a TOC.

Any thoughts?