Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default Word 2002 cannot find its Excel data source for mail merge

See the Excel data section of
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm which will help
you get it back as before.

harryedwards wrote:
Having recently got my computer back after a crash - and with no
change in the software being used - my mail merge documents have
problems.

Now, when opening the document, I get a box saying: '[Word doc name]
is a mail merge main document. Word cannot find its data source,
[Excel file name].' Both Word and Excel file are in exactly the same
place as they were before. I use the 'Find Data Source' option to try
and connect to the Excel file again, but the box I get offers me
options like '+ New SQL Server Connection' rather than simply the
file itself as before. I can browse to the file from here and select
it, but then I have to select a sheet from it - something that has
never happened before - and once I've done that the data source is
connected. However, this now means that I have to use US dates rather
than UK as query options, any zero value is now 12.00AM, and the
merged document won't include things like £ signs which appeared in
the Excel sheet. In short, it messes everything up. Oh, and even if I
now save the document with the newly connected data source, it won't
be connected next time I open it and I'll have to go through it all
again.

As you may have worked out, all I want is for everything to be like
it was before! Why has it changed and what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance.