Cindy

Thank you Suzanne, for confirming my thoughts and helping me maintain my
sanity under somewhat trying circumstances. Having read further, I have
found more references that lead me to believe it is just a poorly reworked
book.
And I would mention whose book it is, but since I work for a law firm, I am
very well aware of potential litigation, sorry folks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Your latter guess is undoubtedly correct: the book you bought was evidently
written for Word 2000 and earlier and not properly updated for Word 2002.
File | New in Word 2002 does *not* open the New dialog by default. But yes,
you can customize it to do this by substituting the FileNewDialog command.
For more on this, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

"Cindy" wrote in message
Hi Gang:
I recently bought a rather expensive book on Word 2002, in the hopes of
improving my skills, given the fact that I have been directed to support

our
computer users.
The book states that when you choose New from the File menu, it will Open
the New dialog box on the General tab. I assume this is the Templates
window.
When I perform this activity, File, New displays the New Document task

pane,
and I need to click General Templates to get to the screen they are

talking
about.
Is there a setting somewhere, outside of the registry to change this
behaviour? Or is the author incorrect and just took a Word 97 book, made
some changes to it and passed it off as brand new work?
Thanks
Cindy