Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peyton Todd Peyton Todd is offline

Default How do I type an 'overline' or 'overbar'?

Thanks for coming to my rescue once again! I notice you have a web page,
etc., and was pleased to note your connections to Agnes Scott College, where
my late aunt graduated, and to Emory, where my late mother graduated, being
one of the first crop of 'co-eds' accepted there some time in the 1920's (I
think1925 or 1926).
--
Peyton Todd

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That I don't know--perhaps something to do with kerning--but you don't need
to create a character for Ø, which is already present in most fonts (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...Characters.htm for caveats about
reinventing the wheel). The built-in keyboard shortcut for it is Ctrl+/, O
(that is, Shift+o).

http://word.mvps.org

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
Thanks, Suzanne, you have saved me yet again, even including providing for
the deletion of the space that follows the field, and in the case of a
zero
with a slash through it, showing me how I can provide a subscript just
after
it, via the Alt-F9 editing capability you called my attention to.

I have just one remaining quibble. No doubt the publisher of my paper can
handle this, but why is the slash through the zero properly centered in
one
of my examples and not in the other? Unfortunately, this forum format does
not recognize Word fields, but in the example below, the slash appears
more
or less in the center of the final 'O' (after 'buried') but too far to the
left in the earlier instance (after 'and'). If it matters, I'm using a
capital 'O' instead of a zero.

She fell and O/i broke her hip vs. She died and they buried O/i)

Thanks,

Peyton Todd

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
For example, in writing mathematical notation, to designate an average
figure, one places a horizontal bar over the variable name. The same
notation
is used in linguistics to indicate a phrase at a particular level of
analysis. I have need of both of these, but how do I get Word to do it?

Thanks for your help,

Peyton Todd

.

.