Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JRR JRR is offline

Default I want to write my thesis?

Hello Ta.

To the best of my knowledge this is functionality that Word simply doesn't
support. Although, maybe there is a macro or add-on that allows this to be
done.

I used the FrameMaker product line for a very long time and this was basic
functionality supported by FM. But Word doesn't, and it looks like MS don't
see such functionality as a valuable addition.

This isn't a matter of something you shouldn't do, but rather a limitation
with the Word product that won't let you do it. So if you choose to use word,
you'll have to find another way to structure your document.

Sorry,

-=John

"Ta.To" wrote:

I want to write my thesis using MS office (word) 2007, so what I plan to do is:
- write each chapter in a separet word file (e.g. chapter1.doc,
chapter2.doc, summary.doc, ...etc.).
- then, I want to make a main file (call it main.doc).
- in the main file I want to link to each of the other files.
* up to here I succeeded to do that.

Now:
- I want to make table of contents in main.doc which then read automatically
the titles and sub titles in each of the separet files (when I update the
filed).
- and the same for the refrences.
* I do not know how to do that, or if it is possible or not.

many thanks