Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Malcolm_T_TAFE Malcolm_T_TAFE is offline

Default How can I access macros in Word without password on Normal.dot

Thanks for all the help. It seems that the password was set 'accidentally'
by me at some stage. The only way out is to write an app to crack the code
(which is something that I would rather not do).

"Twila" wrote:

It's very possible that the normal.dot template is set to 'read only'.
You'll need to do a search of your computer for "normal.dot". When you find
it, right click on it, go to properties, then check to see if 'read only' is
checked. If so, uncheck it. Then you should be able to make changes. To my
knowledge, it's never been password protected.

It's also very possible that your security settings in Word are set too
high. You may need to change those settings to accept macros. Open Word,
right click on the menu bar, go to Security, then enable macros.

These are the only 2 things that I can think of that might be an issue for
you regarding macros and normal.dot. Good Luck!
Twila

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

It wasn't a Microsoft update. I have them all installed and have no problem
opening normal.dot.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Malcolm_T_TAFE" wrote in message
It appears that one of the security fixes for Office 2003 has
'appropriated'
Normal.dot by placing a password on it. This is something that I never
do,
as I do a lot of development in Word (just for myself) and I have some
incomplete macros there that I need to get finalised so that I can use
them.