Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Lost Word files?

I fear you have misunderstood the purpose of "background" saves. This
setting is relevant only when you save manually. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm.

You have learned the folly of leaving an unsaved document open unattended.
If your computer is set to allow entirely automatic updates (Control Panel |
Automatic Updates), you have given Windows permission to shut down any
running programs (without saving open files) in order to restart the
computer when necessary after installing updates. If you have any control
over the process, you would be wise to set Automatic Updates to notify
instead; this gives you control of the process: you can decide when (or
whether) to download the updates, when (or whether) to install them, and
when to restart the computer after installing.

"Dean" wrote in message
Forgive me once more, as I have posted this on other newsgroups that have no
activity whatsoever since earlier yesterday, so it looks like this is the
place to be seen! Even though my computer may be overloaded and should be
rebooted, I am afraid to shut it down, lest I lose what temporary
background-save fragments I need to recover what I seem to have lost - that
is why I have this sense of urgency. Here is what I posted elsewhere
yesterday, please help! :

I was working on a few MS Word documents today, documents that I update
daily and, I took a couple of hours off and when I came back, MS Word was
closed and, when I reopened Word, the documents had none of the changes I
had made today.

My settings are to allow "background saves" and to do autorecover every 10
minutes. When, I did a search for Word docs modified in the last day, my
files (which I update and resave daily) showed up, but none of them had any
updates I've done in the last 24 hours in them, even though I think they
showed today's date (not sure on that). Some of the temporary hushed files
(same name with a tilde in front) seem to show up, but if you open them by
themselves, it's garbage. Now, I did the search again, 15 minutes later,
and far fewer files show up.

I don't understand this. Can someone tell me the best way to integrate
whatever background saved files I have, in order to try to resurrect what I
did today?

Thanks so much, Dean