Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default button for a command from a dialog box

For an explanation of the Default Paragraph Font, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/DefParaFont.htm. When you opt to
create a character style (that is, choose Character instead of Paragraph in
the New Style dialog), Word should automatically choose Default Paragraph
Font to base it on.

"StonyCreeker" wrote in message
Still switches the font.

I see that I misread Jay's post and made a paragraph stye instead of a
character style but unfortunately fixing that has made no difference.

Is the Default Paragraph Font the "universal" default font I've choosen
for
Word in general or the "default" font for the paragraph whose text I'm
altering?

My default font is Times New Roman. If I apply the new character style to
text with another font (Arial). it does mark it as "don't proof" but also
changes it to Times NR. It also clears other attributes like bold.

I tried basing it on the (underlying properties) but that has the same
effect.

Is there something else I could try?

Thanks,

Suggestions

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you're creating a character style, you need to base it on Default
Paragraph Font rather than Normal (which will be a paragraph style). More
on
this at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

"StonyCreeker" wrote in message
Jay and Suzanne,

Your suggestion worked well but has one side effect. Whether I base
the
style off of the Normal style or (no style), applying the new style
changes
the font to the default including size, etc.

Can this be avoided or have I implemented your suggestion incorrectly?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I have to say that the first time I actually tried doing this, I found
it
very anomalous that you can't assign "no proofing" to a character
style
without selecting a language. Not terribly logical, IMO.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:05:17 -0700, StonyCreeker
wrote:

How do you add a button to a toolbar for a command that you select
from
dialog box?

I'd like to have a button to label text as "Do not check spelling or
grammar". To do that now, I need to highlight the text, select
Tools/Language/Set Language, and then check the box marked "Do not
check
spelling or grammar". I'd like a button that would mark the
highlighted
text.

Can it be done?

Create a new character style that consists of just the default
paragraph
font
plus "Do not check spelling or grammar". Then you can create a
toolbar
button to
apply that style to the selected text (in the Customize dialog, pick
the
Styles
category and drag the new style to a toolbar; see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...ToToolbar.htm).

Hint: To get the style's definition to accept the "Do not check"
attribute, you
must also choose a language in the same dialog. Since it isn't going
be
checked, though, it makes little difference what language you
choose.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman