Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Just Michael[_2_] Just Michael[_2_] is offline

Default Adding a caption corrupts all of the previous captions

Suzanne,
Thanks for the reply! So, how to solve the problem? I was previously just
adding captions by right-clicking on the chart. Now suddenly it does not
work. I'm not sure how to fix the situation, given what you told me.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What Stefan meant is that Word cannot find any paragraphs in the style you
have selected for "Chapter starts with style" in the Caption Numbering
dialog (after checking the box for "Include chapter number").

http://word.mvps.org

"Just Michael" wrote in message
Hi Stefan and thanks for the response.
I have only one Style called "Captions" (it is the original style that
came
with the defuault doc template). The way that I create the caption is by
right-clicking on the chart and selecting "insert caption." After
inserting
the caption, I can see from the Styles drop-down that "Caption" is the
selected Style.

I would send you a screen shot but apparently that is not possible.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The error message indicates that Word cannot find the "chapter" style.
Are
you sure that the correct style has been applied to text in the document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Just Michael" wrote in message
I am trying to write a long document with many charts and captions.
Yesterday I inserted 8 charts with captions, and saved my doc. Today I
added
a new chart, and a new caption.

The caption should say "Fig 3-9" (chapter 3, number 9; this is
automated).
What it says is "Fig Error! Style not defined. -9"

It also changes ALL of the figure captions in my ENTIRE document to say
the
same.

Any suggestions?