Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim McColl Jim McColl is offline

Default Commercial Printing and stapling of merge file

Doug - Thanks very much. This seems to work fine. I have no trouble with my
local Staples. The last time I ran off the newsletters, I showed the guy how
to run the mail merge and he was totally happy with it, so I doubt that he
will taks exception to this extra step.

I had to update my installation of Office as intitiaoly VBA macros were
disabled by default I guess. Another interesting wrinkle is that when I
select "Complete Merge" nothing happens, but when I then select edit
individual letters, it opens another document which I can then go ahead and
print , but first I have to create the macro in this new document.

Do you have any idea why "complete merge" no longer works?

THanks again
--
Jim McColl

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The following macro will send each newsletter to the printer as a separate
print job which should then allow the stapling to take place:

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To .Sections.Count Step 1
.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="s" & i, To:="s" & i
Next i
End With

I am not sure how you will go about convincing Staples to use it however.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jim McColl" wrote in message
I generate newsletters for 2000 members. These are always 4 page 2 sided
newsletters (8 printed sides). These newsletters are stapled and placed in
window envelopes showing the members name, address and membership number.
The
latter fields are obtained from and Access query using mailmerge in MS
Word.

I get them printed at Staples and everything is fine except they cannot
electronically staple the newsletters together because word sends the
merged
file as a whole job and Staples printer wants to staple the whole thing as
single document.

Does anyone know a way to get their printer to staple the copies? I
believe
my predecessor was working on some kind of macro, but he is long gone. I
suspect what is was is a VB routine to print one copy at a time. I suspect
this may be easy to do, but as I am not familiar with Visual Basic, I
would
appreciate any assistance or alternate suggestions. I think if someone
provided me with the necessary code, I could figure out how to insert it
into
a macro and get it working

Thanks

Jim McColl