Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Default More TOC help, please?

I have inherited a document with a TOC field. Every time I choose to update
the entire field, though, it goes haywire! I hope someone can help.

I have two styles used - Heading 1 and Heading 2. I believe they are both
resident in the document, and not necessarily the same as those styles in my
Normal template. At the moment, Heading 1 styles are formatted in the TOC
as bold, underlined, and no page number. Heading 2 styles are not bold or
underlined, and have a dotted tab leader to a right-aligned page number.
This is good and I want to keep it. The current field code is {TOC \O "1-2"
\Z}.

When I try to update the entire table, the Heading 1 styles are bold and
underlined, but have a page number, and the underline extends to the number.
The Heading 2 styles lose the dotted tab leader. Also, the tab setting is
changed to stop at mid-page. I've tried changing the TOC style when I
update, but it keeps getting worse!

It's probably time to start from scratch! What settings am I looking for
when I make this?

Ed