Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default restart numbering Word 2007

Make sure that you have in fact set up numbering as an outline (a
multilevel) list; then the restarts should work properly. Here's how to do
that in Word 2007: Place the insertion point in the first level 1 paragraph
of your list. In this case, you would place the insertion point in the first
Heading 1 paragraph of your document. On the Home tab, click Multilevel
List, and then click Define New Multilevel List. Word displays a dialog box
similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog of Word 97-2003. Make
sure that you attach styles to list levels, choose the correct formats, add
punctuation as well as higher level numbering (where appropriate). Also
specify the desired restarts (if necessary).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"VeryConfused" wrote in message
I know this has been addressed many times previously but I can't apply
other
people's answers to my situation and also to Word 2007 version.

I am trying to set up four levels: 1. / 1.1 / (a) and (i).

Level 1 works fine but the other levels don't number consecutively ie 1.1,
1.1, 1.1 / (a), (a), (a) etc.

At Level 1, I've right-clicked and selected "Adjust List Levels" to bring
up
the multi level box and my Level 1 multilevel list is as follows:

Enter formatting for number: 1.
Number style for this level: (1, 2, 3)
Link level to style: Heading 1
Start at 1

Level 2 is as follows:
Enter formatting for number: 1.1
Number style for this level: (none) - NOTE: I can't select anything else
because there isn't the format that I want ie (1.1), (1.2) etc - is this
where the problem is??
Link level to style: Heading 2
Start at: - blanked out - is this right?

Level 3 is as follows:
Enter formatting for number: (a)
Number style for this level: (none) - AGAIN see notes above.
Link level to style: Heading 3
Start at 1 - blanked out.

For each of the above I have ticked the box "Restart list after" (except
for
Level 1) so that for Level 2 I have selected Level 1 and for Level 3 I
have
selected Level 2.

I have read Shauna Kelly's article which has gotten me this far but there
were a few things I needed broken further down with actual examples.

I'd appreciate a step by step response if possible!!