Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Table of Contents Style

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCJasonTabs.htm. Note that by
default Word places a tab stop where you have your hanging indent, but you
can override this with a setting on the Compatibility tab of Tools |
Options.

"CJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
In Word 2003, I have a document where the TOC 2 style has a left tab
set at 1.5 that I would like to remove. If I try to modify the style
in the Styles and Formatting pane, the tab is not even listed as being
there. I can remove the tab with my cursor in one of the paragraphs
and it corrects all of that style, but when I update the table, the
tab stop returns. Is there a secret to modifying the TOC styles?