Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Perform mathematical calculations with merge fields

Sure, you need to use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { }.
Entering them by the use of the keys with those symbols on them on the
keyboard will not result in the creation of an field.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"cjlatta" wrote in message
Duh! - found my answer - if you don't make it a formula (insert/formula),
it
won't work!
Thanks, Doug, for your suggestions - I'll keep them for future use.

"cjlatta" wrote:

I'm not sure this will work, but I'll give it a shot. Since I'm doing
the
recreation route, I think where my trouble lies is in the actual
calculation
portion of the formula - I can't get the additional bracket into the
formula
and thus get the multiplication to work.
Thanks though - I'll give it a try.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You will need to do something to cause the fields to update. Either
use
Ctrl+A to select everything and then use F9, or in the
ToolsOptionsPrint
tab dialog, check the box to update fields when printing.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"cjlatta" wrote in message
I have a letter that we created in Word 2000 that I need to update. I
can't
open the document in Word 2003, so I'm recreating it. The document
contains
several merge fields. I want to perform a multiplication of a merge
field
(which is a number) by a set number (in the example it's 35). I used
the
{=35*{mergefield xxx}\#,0.00\*Mergeformat} in Word2000, but I can't
get it
calculate in Word 2003. I know how to get the field codes - I just
can't
get
the multiplication to work. Also, I have another calculation to do -
that
is
a subtraction. It subtracts another mergefield from the results of
the
formula listed above.
Any help would be appreciated.